Avoid these food to keep your immune system strong & maintain wellness
Studies have shown that spikes in sugar level can suppress your immune system
When the system is suppressed, you’re more likely to become sick.
- Consuming foods high in sugar or carbohydrates – which a body processes into sugars – may be reducing your body’s ability to fight off invaders.
Here are some definite No-No’s if you’re looking to boost your immune system:
- Sodas: There are about 40 grams of sugar in a12-ounce soda. That’s more than the amount of sugar a man should be getting daily (36 grams) and way more than what women should be getting (25 grams).
- Even sugarless sodas contain harmful chemicals like artificial sweeteners and phosphoric acid, which are both bad for your body even if they don’t affect the immune system.
- Processed Foods: Processed, simple sugars can reduce white blood cells’ ability to fight off invaders.
- They also may increase inflammatory markers like cortisol. High sodium may have a similar effect.
- Saturated fats, which have been proven to be inflammatory, may change immune cell membranes, thus reducing their ability to function.
- Omega-6 fatty acids increase inflammation, though the jury is still out on how much they affect the immune system.
- Anything High in Sugar: It’s not just sodas that contain high levels of sugar. Fruit juices or dried fruits can also give you a sugar spike that affects your immune system.
- adding sugar to your coffee or tea can give the same effect, along with the diuretic effect of the caffeine .
Let’s not even think about desserts …
- Refined Carbohydrates: These are sugars and refined grains that have been stripped of all bran, fiber, and nutrients.
- just thinking about that tells you they must be bad for you, doesn’t it?
- Examples of refined carbohydrates include: white bread, flour, and rice, pizza dough, pasta, pastries, most sweet desserts and most breakfast cereals.
- These foods contain sugars that have already been broken down into their simplest forms, which means your body doesn’t even need to digest them to get that sugar spike.
- Alcoholic Beverages: Alcohol slows the immune system, making your white blood cells sluggish and far less effective.
- heavy drinkers, in fact, may be far more likely to succumb to illnesses like tuberculosis or pneumonia, and are at increased risk for developing some types of cancer.
Get all our self-help tips and newsletters sent to you & access to all our resources & eBooks, free!
Join Us for early updates & lots of free member only stuff.